Registration: Course & Program

Select your question below:

The course I want is full. How can I get into it?

Once a course is full, you may continue to try registering into that course or select another course from your checklist.
The only cases where permission will be considered are for MOS students who are in their graduating year requiring a specific (not preferred) course for graduation. Students are encouraged to speak with the Advisors as soon as they realize there is an issue.

Non-MOS students trying to obtain a full course will have to select an alternative course if space does not open in the desired course. No exceptions will be considered.

Can I ask to enter Honors after the Summer session?

Requests to enter Honors Specialization or Honors Double Major are only considered in May of each year based on your Intent to Register.  Students who did not select Honors Specialization, Honors Double Major, or were not eligible in May to enter Honors must wait until the next Intent to Register to request Honors again. Students must ensure that they are meeting the minimum requirements to enter Honors.

Please note that meeting the minimums may not guarantee admission due to our Honors program being limited enrolment. 

Can I ask to enter a Specialization after the Summer session?

Yes, the course(s) must be completed in the first half of Summer Session (May and June only).  This includes courses offered in Intersession, the first half of Summer Evening (A/F), and Distance Studies courses that run in the first 6 weeks of Summer Session only. 

Students in a course(s) that extends into July and August, or who are taking a course(s) on Letter of Permission can submit their request for admission to the DAN Management Program during the Intent to Register period in February. 

Course registration opens in June and this admission period allows for newly admitted students to properly access their required MOS courses before constraints lift. 

Why isn't the course I want to take showing in the timetable?

Only those courses being offered in the current session will appear in the Timetable.  The Calendar shows all courses that we could offer.  Be sure to review the online timetable carefully.

What is a prerequisite and where can I find prerequisite information?

Every course has a prerequisite and a constraint.   Students are responsible to ensure they meet both the prerequisite and the constraint of a course.

A prerequisite is a required course that must be completed successfully before completing the next course. For example, the prerequisite for MOS 3370 states: "Business Administration 2257 and enrolment in third or fourth year of BMOS, Honors Specialization in Urban Development or Music Administrative Studies (MAS)." which means you must have completed Business 2257, you must have completed at least 8.0 or more courses, and you must be in a specific program. 

Review the Online Calendar to find out about prerequisites in courses you are interested in taking. 

What is a constraint and where can I find the course constraints?

Every course has a prerequisite and a constraint.   Students are responsible to ensure they meet both the prerequisite and the constraint of a course.

A constraint is a departmental regulation restricting who can register into a course.  For example, the constraint for MOS 1021A states: "PRIORITY TO BMOS ON MAIN CAMPUS. OPEN JULY 21 TO ALL YEAR 1 STUDENTS ON MAIN CAMPUS. OPEN AUG 22 TO STUDENTS WHO HAVE COMPLETED 3.0 OR MORE COURSES. "  

You can review all course constraints on the Online Timetable

Can I enter a course without having taken the prerequisite?

No, we do not bypass prerequisite requirements.  Prerequisites provide knowledge and content that is necessary for success in the next course. Requests for permission to bypass it will not be considered. 

When is Paper Add/Drop?

Paper Add/Drop is no longer used at Western.  All registration is handled online through the Student Centre. Review the Sessional Dates on the Western Calendar carefully.

If you miss the deadline, you must contact the Academic Counsellors immediately to request permission to add or drop late. Students requesting a late add or drop must have documentable reasons and provide this document to Academic Counselling.

When can NON-MOS students register?

Non-MOS students should review the constraints carefully on the Online Timetable.  You will either be able to register for Fall/Winter courses in late July or late August.  
Each course specifically indicates when registration will begin.  
If no information is listed, that course is not set to open to non-MOS students and you will have to choose an alternative.

Non-MOS students should note that you are restricted to a maximum of 1.0 MOS course from September to April; and 1.0 MOS course from May to August each year.  We do not grant permission for additional courses. 

When I tried to register for a course, it was rejected. What's the problem?

It is likely that you are not meeting the prerequisite or the constraint on the course. You should have received an error when this occurred. If it is unclear why you received the error, contact the Registration Helpline and report what error you received. They will advise you of the solution or place you in contact with the appropriate area for assistance. 

Can Affiliated College students take Main Campus MOS courses?

Yes, however, Affiliated College students must receive permission from their Academic Counsellor FIRST.  Your Counsellor will then liaise with our Advisors.  There are limitations/conditions (no exceptions):
  • there must be spaces open in the course;
  • your Counsellor must approve of the request;
  • you must meet the prerequisite(s)

What is considered part time?

Students completing 3.0 or fewer courses are a part time student. Students enrolled in 3.5 or more courses are considered full time.  Students should consider implications regarding fees, awards, health/dental plans and bus pass access when deciding to go part time.

What do the course numbers mean?

  • 0001-0999: Pre-University level introductory courses (may be counted for credit unless taken in a preliminary year; may not be counted toward essay or breadth requirements, or used to meet minimum admission requirements to enter a module)

  • 1000-1999: Year 1 courses

  • 2000-4999: Senior-level courses

What does the letter at the end of the course number mean?

  • No Suffix: 1.0 course not designated as an essay course

  • A: 0.5 course offered in first term

  • B: 0.5 course offered in first term

  • A/B: 0.5 course offered in first and second term

  • E: Essay course

  • F: Essay course offered in first term

  • G: Essay course offered in second term

  • F/G: Essay course offered in first and second term

  • K: 0.75 course (integrated curriculum of HBA1 program) at the Richard Ivey School of Business

I have Transfer Credits; which year am I enrolled in?

The year is assigned by Western admissions based upon their assessment of how many credits you can have transfer over in general. It does not affect program eligibility or status for BMOS. The year you are in at Western is determined solely by how many credits you have completed.

  • Year 1: 2.5 or less successfully completed courses.

  • Year 2: 3.0 – 7.5 successfully completed courses.

  • Year 3: 8.0 – 12.5 successfully completed courses.

  • Year 4: 13.0 or more successfully completed courses.

For example, if you have 13 credits in Biology, but decided to pursue a program where you have no credits in, or some can apply, then you need to take the time to complete that program - which could be three more years.