Important Considerations

TAXES – Consider buying RRSP’s to reduce the amount of taxes paid while working. If your income is lower when you return to school these investments can be cashed at a lower rate.  

OSAP - Students who access OSAP will need to complete a Continuation of Interest Free Status (CIFS) form every September and May that they are on long-term internship. Out-of-province students should contact their provincial lender for funding inquiries.

MOVING EXPENSES - If you move at least 40 kms closer to your new place of work, you can deduct eligible moving expenses from employment income. For more information you can visit the CRA website and view the form "T1-M Moving Expenses Deduction." 

MEDICAL PLANS – Make sure you have with you your Ontario Health Plan Number. For extra Medical Coverage such as prescriptions, eye glasses, dental look into a private insurance plan, i.e. Blue Cross. International students participating in long-term internship, please click here for UHIP information.

VACATION POLICY – Ask your employer about earned holidays. Find out how many you are entitled to and if there are any restrictions regarding when you can take them. Also, find out about statutory holidays (don’t assume that the company will close on regular statutory holidays). 

OVERTIME POLICY – Ask your employer how they reimburse for overtime. Some companies give you time off in lieu of pay, others have a pay scale depending on when the overtime is worked. 

SCHOLARSHIP DEFERRAL – Students who qualify to receive a continuing scholarship in the academic year in which they participate in this Program are permitted to defer receipt of the scholarship for one year. Direct queries to Associate Dean Undergraduate Affairs.

STUDENT CARDS - Students are not eligible for the bus pass, or free access to the recreation centre on campus, as ancillary fees are not paid while out on internship. Long-term internship students can pay a discounted fee to utilize the Western Student Recreation Centre on campus.

Additional Courses

Students may not take any academic courses during the internship work term, unless granted special permission by the Associate Dean (Undergraduate Studies), Faculty of Social Science. Only those students with a cumulative average of at least 78% should apply for special permission.

Please email the Experiential Learning Coordinator at with your request including the course code and session type, outline of your time-management plan, and rationale for taking the course prior to your return to campus. All requests will be reviewed and submitted to the Associate Dean (Undergraduate) for consideration.

A maximum of 0.5 additional course credits per 4-month work-term will be considered.

Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) Eligibility:

Many employers fund student placements partially or fully through the aid of the Government of Canada’s Student Work Placement Program (SWPP), and to qualify for this funding, employers require proof of Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) eligibility from their interns.

Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning (CEWIL) Canada defines Work-Integrated Learning as “a form of curricular experiential learning that formally integrates a student’s academic studies with quality experiences within a workplace or practice setting”, and CEWIL further states that “WIL experiences include an engaged partnership of at least: an academic institution, a host organization, and a student.”

In the event that students secure employment that is funded through the Student Work Placement Program, they will only be able to receive proof of Work-Integrated Learning (WIL) eligibility if they are formally enrolled in the Social Science Internship Program and agree to execute on all of its deliverables. Enrollment is contingent upon program eligibility criteria and the timely submission of the internship application (be it through Western Connect or Direct Match). Students who do not satisfy program requirements, or who do not submit their application by the applicable deadline will not be enrolled.

If you accept an employment offer (especially one with “internship” or “co-op” in the role description or title) it may be SWPP funded. If the role depends on this governmental aid, you will need to enroll in the Social Science Internship Program to ensure that your employer can hire you and properly renumerate you for your work.